GIC is known as Guaranteed Investment Certificate. GIC program is for the Indian students who wish to pursue their higher studies in Canada under Student Partners Programs (SPP). GIC is very a simple and transparent process followed by SPP colleges in Canada. According to Citizenship & Immigration Canada guidelines, you will require approximately CAD 10,000 per year, not including tuition fees, to cover your living expenses. This requirement is fulfilled through the purchase of a participating GIC, and evidence that you have paid your tuition.
The GIC is the mark of surety to the Canadian Government that student can afford their housing Expenses for a year in Canada.
A GIC is a secure investment account like a Fixed Deposit in India that guarantees the full amount of your original investment and the interest on your money over a predetermined, fixed time frame. The student will receive a portion of their investment plus interest every month for a 12 month period. These funds are used by students to pay living expenses while studying in Canada. The student will receive their full investment of CAD 10,000 at the end of 12 months. Students can use these funds to meet their monthly living expenses while studying in Canada.
At present, Scotia Bank & ICICI Bank Canada is the only participating Canadian Financial Institutions. Apply for the Student GIC Program by visiting their bank’s website here: Scotia bank: http://www.scotiabank.com/ca/en/0,,5698,00.html ICICI bank Canada: http://www.icicibank.ca/
Once your Student GIC has been opened, you may transfer funds to your account in Canada by using any bank in India in which you hold your account. Following are the requirements for the GIC account?
1. Student’s Passport Copy (First & Last Page – Self Attested by the student)
2. Copy of Admission Offer Letter from SPP Institution in Canada
Most of the time students think that GIC is their expense, but this not correct statement about GIC, because it is the investment by the student. Below we mentioned few points to keep in mind.
- GIC is Helpful during visa documentation process. It makes the whole process easy
- Students can manage their Living expenses for a year while studying in Canada
- Students will Get Fixed amount every month with interest on it
- Students can complete their studies without any cost
- The students cannot withdraw the full amount from GIC account at once